10,000 miles

Hi! I'm Elisabeth, and I'll be spending my senior year in Indonesia through the K-L YES Abroad program, which is a full scholarship from the U.S. State Department. I attended the National Pre-Departure Orientation in DC a few weeks back and got to meet all of the other YES Abroad students from all over the country. It was a very fun and eventful few days! We visited the State Department and some of the famous monuments, went to Union Station for lunch, and spent a lot of time discussing culture and how we can adjust to the differences when we go abroad.

What I realized at PDO is how big yet small the world is. It was eye-opening getting to meet people from all over the country, and I was the only one from Georgia. It made me even more excited to go abroad and share aspects of my culture with my host family while learning all about their culture. It was amazing to meet people with different backgrounds that all share the desire to experience life in a country vastly different from the U.S. I also feel more prepared to face any challenges throughout my year in Indonesia. The program's staff and alumni were some of the most interesting people I've ever met, and they gave us the tools we need to have a successful exchange year.

I've spent most of my time this summer working at Chick-fil-a and hanging out with friends and family. Before PDO I finished up with 3 summer classes so that I can get college and high school credit and graduate next year. I only need credit for 2 more classes, but right now I'm focusing on preparing for Indonesia. It's finally hitting me that I leave July 24, which is coming up so soon. It's kind of bittersweet now that I realize that I won't see my friends and family in Georgia for 11 months. Tomorrow is my last day at work.. and then I'll only have 1 week left in Georgia! I'm still more excited that scared, though.

What made this feel even more real is when I found out recently that I will be living in Bandung, Indonesia! Bandung is one of the biggest cities in Indonesia, and it's home to some of Indonesia's best universities. I've also heard the coffee in Bandung is amazing. It's known as "the Paris of Java" because it's a very sophisticated cultural center. Also, I can't wait to meet my host family!! I know very little about my host family but I have a feeling they're gonna be pretty cool :). I'm also trying to learn a bit more Indonesian before I leave, so I at least know some basic phrases.

Overall, I am both anxious and ecstatic as I pack and prepare for this journey. I'll try to blog at least once a month or so to document my experience. Thanks for reading!
The Indonesia squad at the Washington monument

On the steps of the Lincoln memorial 

Tried Indonesian food for the first time - it was spicy & delicious!

On the way to the airport with some amazing YES Abroad kids

Until next time,
Elisabeth :)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Experiences